Walking Tall Pilates & Fitness - Personal Training
RSS

Recent Posts

Online Class Registration
You Are Invited!
Pilates Workshop!
Mindful Exercise
Use the best to be the best!

Categories

Fitness Start Up
Happy Holidays!
Pain
Pilates
Walking Tall Introduction
powered by

My Blog

Pilates Workshop!

I recently attended a seminar/workshop weekend at Movement's Afoote Pilates Studio in NYC. The subject of the workshop was "Innovations in Pilates: Therapeutic Muscle Stretching on the Pilates Equipment" with Anthony Lett.

I love going to events like this workshop. They're not inexpensive, they require that I cancel my own client appointments for two days, they involve significant travel time and effort, and they always necessitate a strong follow-up effort and intense study to get a handle on the information and the various hands-on techniques that are presented in the workshop.

Sounds like fun, eh?

Yes! I am a knowledge-nerd! I love getting together with people who see the world through the prism of anatomy, motor skills, physical training, rehab, physiology and all the many components of somatic (body) awareness, conditioning and experience.

When I walk down the street, what I see is people's posture, their gait (walking bio mechanics), their physical challenges or their physical gifts. Much the same way a police officer sees suspicious individuals in the vicinity, my awareness is drawn to the world of human physicality, to physical movement/function. It's my filter and through that perspective I experience my life.

So when there's an opportunity to expand on that perspective and go a bit deeper into the experience, I jump at it!

This workshop was just that sort of golden opportunity. Anthony Lett is an Australian Pilates instructor with 25+ years of experience. His approach to teaching Pilates is wide-ranging and creative, and the focus of this workshop was (to quote Anthony) "an attempt to further develop the stretching aspect of Pilates original work. Many of the other central ideas of Pilates, like the notion of “core strength” have received considerable development, but the stretching work had been given less attention".

Now, as a practitioner of Fascial Stretch Therapy I am a true believer in the many benefits of stretching. Strength is another vital component of any good fitness program, and there's no shortage of people doing strength training. Stretching, on the other hand, is often neglected and ignored, and the consequences of that are joint pain (particularly low back pain), restricted movement, balance issues, stress and tight muscles generally.

So the workshop took place over a two-day period, 8 hrs per day. Which if you think of it is a lot of stretching! I have to say I felt a little beat up after 16 hours of muscle elongation!

But what a great time - a ton of new stretches or modified old ones. A brand new tool for maximizing stretch results by using the Reformer - set up as the ideal aid in getting the body in the proper positions for taking full advantage of the stretch. The sliding platform, the springs and straps, the adjustable foot bar that is part of each Reformer can be used to support any position that is required - while allowing the person stretching to relax into the position and thereby increase the stimulus to the muscles.

As part of what I call my "Integrated Training" approach to fitness, I need to have a broad collection of physical props and conceptual tools in my "fitness toolbox". I have found that clients can often be helped by the application of stretching both generally and targeted, and that without that experience most clients will eventually be challenged with joint pain and at least partial disability. Exercise by definition requires putting stress on the body to stimulate physical adaptations. The regular application of "overload" to the muscles/bones is the trigger that starts the adaptation. But adding stress and overloading the body's systems and structure is only effective when the body is strong enough and flexible enough and functioning well enough to tolerate the extra load.

So a prop like the Reformer is a fantastic addition to the toolbox because it allows safe positioning, proper support for the client's body weight, relaxing movement and positive results that act to reinforce the motivation that got them there in the first place. The only surprise here is that it took so long for somebody to come up with this idea. And I want to thank Anthony for being the one to manage it, to do the extensive research and creative work required to bring it all to fruition.

In the coming months I'll be immersed in the text, trying all of the stretches on the Reformer and generally getting to the point at which I feel confident enough that I can share this with my clients and make it my own.

And I hope to have more reports for my readers on more workshops I will be attending throughout the year. These learning opportunities are too valuable to overlook! Particularly when I think back to my early days as a personal trainer, back when Exercise Science was in it's infancy, before all the various certifying bodies had been set up, before personal trainers, before the explosion of fitness/wellness magazines and books, before the web, before blogs!!

35 Comments to Pilates Workshop!:

Comments RSS
Forklift Training Melbourne on Tuesday, December 02, 2014 1:19 PM
Your site has been extremely informative and its featured content helps in the process of what is being created on the web. Keep it up...

Cheap Christian Louboutin on Friday, September 09, 2016 2:15 AM
Strength is another vital component of any good fitness program, and there's no shortage of people doing strength training.

aussie essay writer on Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:23 AM
Sounds like you have fun during the workshop. It is always a good thing to never stop learning, and continuing to hone your knowledge.

fake chanel on Friday, December 26, 2014 4:25 AM
My best taste is ideal for any dashes, as they definitely more effective harmonize with any in a straight line, drab life together with overall smooth-edge structure within the see.

Campbell Parker on Sunday, February 08, 2015 5:31 AM
The portable air compressors are generally powered off of a 12V battery and can even be permanently mounted to the back of a truck. Along with inflating vehicle tires and powering ratchets and blow guns, a 4 x 4 air compressor is also great to have along on camping trips.

pilates service from north ryde on Wednesday, March 04, 2015 12:23 AM
I also love going to events like this workshop. There is lovely impression which I like every sound. After all you shared here a good topic which may come to help us in the future.

Ecommerce Website Design on Thursday, May 07, 2015 12:46 AM
Thanks for writing this article, it gives me the information I need.

title loans on Friday, May 08, 2015 3:31 PM
Thought household mortgage loan is an effective supply of assets whenever specs. It�s such as a connected household mortgage loan exactly where repayments are often served because of the borrower's identify so that you can the automotive.

uk essay on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:21 PM
I am so much in love with your blog!

essay writer on Wednesday, June 10, 2015 6:21 AM
I've hear a lot about pilates but I've never tried it on my own.I think it's great.

technologysessays.com on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:38 AM
As for me, the best way to lose weight permanently - a proper nutrition and reasonable sports. slimming, such as teas and pills provide only a temporary effect (tested on personal experience!)

essaywritingrules.net on Tuesday, September 08, 2015 4:26 AM
Yeah! I love pilates! I have 3 training a week ) Good luck!

Custom-Essays-Online on Monday, October 12, 2015 2:40 AM
Sport means health :)It's always necessary to do exercises ; P.S.order well-written papers on this topic here :)

Christian K. Wallace on Tuesday, December 01, 2015 1:23 PM
The best lighting for smart people. Visit our site and ensure the adequacy of price . Informative and interesting which we share with you so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable.awriter.org I would like to thank you for the efforts. I am tiring the same best work from me in the future as well. I'll use this information to provide research paper help.

cheap makeup on Sunday, December 20, 2015 12:56 AM
All the best urban decay and bobbi brown you can buy online. All makeup goods at http://www.jeanmakeup.com

check cashing costa-mesa on Friday, March 25, 2016 2:13 AM
Since business banknote beforehand requires little paperwork, the appliance turnaround time is actual baby and you will be able to see your funds aural a anniversary of appointment the application. Clashing acceptable loans, you do not charge to delay for weeks for months to pay your bills or appropriate business opportunities.

Read More on Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:38 PM
I am also looking pilates workshop that develops the stretching aspect of Pilates original work for getting extreme fitness.

car title loans chicago on Friday, July 22, 2016 12:52 PM
Financing the buy of another or pre-possessed vehicle is only an unavoidable truth for a great many people today. Truth be told it is evaluated that very nearly 4 out of each five individuals who purchase a vehicle need to make some sort of car financing courses of action to do as such.

solution to weight loss on Tuesday, August 09, 2016 5:59 AM
I was there in that seminar/workshop. It was really an amazing workshop I ever seen. It helps me a lot to do something important in next time. Thank you so much.

Brownlow on Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:44 PM
I would like to thank you for the work you have placed into authoring this blog. No doubt to me that you have deeply perception of %BT%. It’s like I just read some sort of guide like do my school work for me or full exploration. Excellent job!

foot massager on Saturday, January 21, 2017 2:57 PM
Best foot massager with built in heat function is available in our site in a reasonable price. Our massager is perfectly adoptable with all foot size that gives extra comfort to the leg muscles.

Air compressor on Monday, March 06, 2017 3:32 PM
our best portable air compressors have all the qualities that you need to do your job smoothly. It's large galoon tank can held more compressed air for all of your sanders, glinders, drills and spray guns. It is also very easy to operate.

ultrasounds at 6 weeks on Sunday, May 28, 2017 7:04 AM
Sounds like you have a fabulous time amid the workshop. It is dependably something worth being thankful for to learn constantly, and proceeding to sharpen your insight.

latest international news in urdu on Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:30 PM
Hi admin I examined your post about Pilates Workshop! .It was quite an impressive blog and it carries so much important and useful information.And I also liked the way you presented the blog i was amazing.Keep it up. Thanks for sharing

rabiya on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 1:48 AM

Rabiya on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 7:14 AM
I've learn your cotent about CCNA examination books. I quite like your blog but i've one other element of that scholars must relax their minds by using travelling some cool screensaver websites to get relax from their anxiousness and make their minds feel free. I feel it can be the nice choice to spend the time.

daily latest news in urdu on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:48 PM
a complete and beautiful package of information provided by this site and also about daily latest news in urdu

loemrntdherid1 on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:55 AM
Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.

Cricket in Pakistan on Tuesday, March 06, 2018 7:19 AM
keep sharing such posts, you did a lot for us thanksss

international urdu news on Wednesday, March 07, 2018 2:48 PM
Thanks for writing this article, it gives me the information I need.

sh imran on Wednesday, March 28, 2018 3:20 AM
Very informative. Well written article.

pakistan news live on Thursday, March 15, 2018 1:15 PM
For body training this site contain many beautiful tips and tricks medically this is very effective and informative you also read this and try to apply this.pakistan news live is for urdu updates of news

Mani on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 9:08 AM
Thanks for sharing the information very helpful.

Water activities in Portugal on Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:33 AM
It is an amazing post. I enjoyed a lot reading it. Keep sharing in future.

loemrntdherid1 on Thursday, June 14, 2018 1:57 AM
This is good site to spent time on .